all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Thursday, March 05, 2009

The variety and conveience stores, so ubiquitously present throughout the entire GTA, from Scarborough to Mississauga, are such a thin margin business that they are constantly at risk of going under, and have to sell everything---lottery tickets and pornography, long distance cards and diapers, potato chips and injera to stay alive.


They become a shrine to ingenuity and multiculturalism, a metonymy of the intersections between culture and capital that occur in a city as large and as committed to multiculturalism as Toronto is. Because I am interested in these intersections, and because as part of my practice, I document the small details of quotidian urban life, I have been shooting convenience stores throughout the GTA.


As a kind of one-one cultural exchange, I want to reproduce the visual cacophony in the outside of convenience store windows with photographs on the outside of the Convenience Store gallery. Using cheap prints in a variety of sizes, I hope to literally commemorate the pyschogeographic history of the old space within the aesthetic confines of the new space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

neat project especially the idea of the metonym

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.