all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Sunday, June 26, 2011

As much as I love chart country, and find it oddly inspirational, I have always found the exquisitely construction of Twain's work was made in such a way that any biographical clue was meticulously scrubbed clean. So the songs weren't about anything, even the sex songs refused narratives of the body--so we think b/c of the show on the Oprah network, and because of the hiring of Swift's team who make confessional work, and because of what we know of the divorce, that she has become more confessional...but it's not true. This is slightly sadder then, for example, Come on Over, but gives no new understanding of Twain. Artists don't need to spill shit, we have no real knowledge of Toby Keith, who makes almost no attempt at the personal or the confessional, and an instinct towards the confessional seems to required more of female artists then men, so part of me really admires the chrome sheen of Twain's immaculate production, and part of me still finds it a little too bland to enjoy as a text, or even the use function that she assumes it will (but then i might not be the audience for this) (the interesting thing is that the youtube video recommends videos of the motivational speaker Joe Osteen as a companion to this--and I'm enough of a prickly asshole that I'm allergic about this shit. )

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.