all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Sunday, July 27, 2014



i don't think i liked snowpeircer, and i don't know why. i love chris evans--and his melancholy here was strong, the aesthetics were powerful, tilda was brilliant, as was john hurt, the work seemed both new and peiced together from various parts. i can handle allegory, it might have been the nihilism, i think it was one of the more hopeless movies i have seen, (any solution posited will result in more catastrophe, any dissent has been constructed to further the status qua, the revolutionary and the reactionary depend on each other (one seeding the other), stability and hierarchy win over chaos, and eventually, the polar bear will eat the last survivors) but dystopian works are not expected to be pleasant, or to end well--recent dystopias have failed to note how their work is co-opted into an agenda of self-perpetuating crisis/crony/corporatism capitalism (cf Divergent, I am No, 4, Hunger Games). It's hopelessness seemed well earned. There were things I could nitpick (the writing, the writing was terrible) but I felt dissatisfied and uneasy at the end of it, and I didn't know why.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.