Three Things .
one
On a board i frequent , Momus described the two perspectives on Warhol . One was those who accepted his life, his collecting, his conceptual films as his most important work. IE Theorists or Duchampians . I think that is what i am but the thing is the art i love i rarely have seen live. I go to Vancouver and see Twombly, General Idea, Akari, Murakami and Wall. I see Stan Douglas at a local travelling show. I saw the big ones when i was in New York the summer i was in grade 9. I am connected to the local scene here .
But these are the exceptions. Most of the art i see is in reproduction and criticism. In advertising for shows, in criticism, in history books. Through educated friends. This means my knowledge of art does not relate to the image. It realties to how people view the image or how i view reproductions of the image. Seeing the colour in a b&w piece for the first time or seeing the fact that those in the histories are still producing amazes me. This is why i love contemporary art . It is new .
Two
I decided against a tattoo. All the flash now seems cheap. Most Tattooing used indicate a rite of passage. Something to isolate you.
In America it was done to mark your way out of conventional society. . The people who got them were the people who were entering in almost all male institutions . You got them in new ports as a sailor. New camps as a solider . As marking in prison.
Even in Japan it was aristocrats or rouges who could get tattooed. It was not common
It in fact was a mark of exclusion. In the south pacific it meant you were a man or a warrior.
It still happens. But now Tattooing seems to be something to show at chic cocktail parties. I was going to get a tattoo. But i have no rite of passage, isolation is too difficult and i respect the craft too much .
Three
A friend is moving to Toronto to go to Art School . We packed her up today . I got some odds and sods as well as and some important things. Including a pretty blue , orange and white geometrical abstract that is cleaner and clearer then a great deal of the other recent minimal stuff. It was meant to parody Agnes Martin but goes out a side door and does something entirely new. She is a really traditional figure artist. Literal but can photograph like an angel.
i still like agnes.
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Thursday, August 16, 2001
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
01
(157)
-
▼
8
(33)
- Hey this is my first blog. wrote something about a...
- . Tonight i got drunk on cheap red wine. I wore a ...
- center i say the rosary every morning and eve...
- I watched Fight Club and Family Man back to back o...
- went to church today. It was the boring and flip p...
- I I am listening to the Bjork and Thom Yorke trac...
- I have had a hard day and am knackered. Work mostl...
- Today on my day off i spent 8 hours in a casino. I...
- What i am listening to today : Rufus Wainwright ...
- I am not going to post anything deep today. Did al...
- So today i collpased at work. I have been pulling ...
- Today i went out for a few hours and bought clothe...
- Madonna is our pop goddess. She has worked hard at...
- A journalist from London called Edmonton Deadmon...
- My Funny Valentine Today i heard this song twice...
- What I am reading Virago book of naughty verse (...
- I was reading the salon article on camgirls and t...
- Tonight i saw Politically Incorrect with Rufus W...
- i had a full day.i am tired . I have nothing to say.
- Three Things . one On a board i frequent , Mo...
- I swam, went to mass, worked and slept today . Sis...
- Kurt Cobain Kurt Cobain was 27 in 1994. I was 1...
- Do you ever play a peice of music until you feel d...
- I would like to make this water wine , but it is i...
- Alot of shit happened today and i am sort of writi...
- I collect three kinds of anthologies. Maybe collec...
- I noise is music, music noise Cage There is a...
- I talk to a buddy on icq an hour twice a week . i...
- I am not a nature freak. Even when i canoe i want...
- There is one advantage to funerals. You among the ...
- why do you listen to the music you do My friend...
- i edit poorly. i was rereading my entries and them...
- Teen Jeopardy is amazing these 15 year olds with t...
-
▼
8
(33)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment