some thoughts on why the liberal- left is so ineffective:
There's a young woman named Colette who began a piece in her zine looks yellow, tastes red with this:
Last year I was taking a woman's studies class. I sat there for several hours a week with the same group of people, presumably reading the same essays and texts, hearing the same lectures and conversations, etc. And I remember one day near the very end of the semester where one girl raised her hand in our discussion section and prefaced what she was saying with a very loud and clear, "Well, I'm not a feminist or anything, but..." (on to prove, to her credit, a well-thought-out, enlightened point). What?
I could proudly say that I don’t tiptoe around the word feminist. I could say that I try to be quick to point out that assuming that "feminist" means "militant, man-hating feminist" is not unlike assuming "Christian" means "militant fundamentalist, abortion-doctor murdering Christian." But I know there is a lot I tiptoe around...
My initial wisecrack response to this was, "Well, militant feminists don't really hate men anyway; they're too busy hating other feminists." But a deeper thought was that feminists, despite all their diversity and all their conflicts with each other, are something of a social category – not that they all come from the same social class or social group, but that they are a social group – "feminist" – in the way that in a high school "preps" is a social group, and "jocks" and "dirtbags" and "skaters." And a woman who's a potential supporter of feminist social and political ideas might nonetheless say, "I'm not a feminist or anything" because emotionally and socially she simply doesn't feel like a feminist or identify with feminists. And she might not want to engage in political activity with feminists if she feels different and isolated around feminists, or frightened by them, or repelled by them. If she believes that she'll have to give up important parts of herself to become a feminist, then she's not going to become one.
Anyway, substitute the word "leftist" for "feminist" and you'll see what I'm driving at: "leftist" is something of a social category, and those not in the category don't want to make common cause with the left. (Yes, and of course I've greatly oversimplified, "left" is a ridiculously vague term for disparate sets of people, etc.) The left can't overcome being a kind of counterculture; it attracts people who want to be leftists, and so the attraction only reaches so far ....
This is Frank Kogans opinon , one i think all leftists should consider .
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Saturday, September 15, 2001
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
01
(157)
-
▼
9
(33)
- I went to another funeral today. I wanted to cry b...
- Today i was watching WGN , an LA superstation. It ...
- Two short peices about writers : Salman Rushdie ...
- I worked on this for an hour. It has been on the w...
- www.10newsongs.com">see if this works
- Henry The above link is a record of every import...
- Today i am being publsihes. Its a pissant little z...
- Yesterday Saint Isadoire of Seville was made the p...
- outside my window i am seeing two teenagers in lus...
- Radical Simplicity its a gift to be simple , i...
- Today was good 10 books for 15 bucks in a library ...
- I was called by the Globe and Mail this morning. T...
- Yesterday we went to the largest corn maze in Albe...
- I have to rush off , school and all but here is a ...
- New York I have an essay when i try to figure ou...
- Thanks Be To God . Everyone i know on the net ha...
- I know this seems petty with all that is happening...
- There are 1100 dead already. We do not know how ma...
- Today in the Globe and Mail there was an article o...
- some thoughts on why the liberal- left is so ineff...
- Americas Most Wanted is playing fear mongering pr...
- Rosh Ho Shonna Call someone you love today and ...
- Yesterday i went to the doctor to be put on medi...
- I am tired and trying to do 10 000 things at once....
- I was going to buy season tickets to the opera but...
- Tammy Wynette makes me cry. She has this planative...
- Most days i forget i am queer. It just seems so mu...
- Its not much, its mostly symbolic. But it provides...
- Yesterday i saw a new Robert Atilla Lukas work at ...
- I am tryign to rope two freinds to go to Vancouver...
- Hank Williams III used to play punk. He played nas...
- FRanks cover this week was interesting It had THE...
- Today at mass the priest used Shellys Ode to the W...
-
▼
9
(33)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment