Fragment after a country show
a prose poem
He is playing a snare drum but every so often sings or plays a black guitar
The set, almost through and everyone on the stage looks like they are having a good time
Here, across the dance floor, I am watching him sweat under the stage lights. I’m falling in love
It may be the peach shirt he wears, or his straw hat, or his smile or his joy
It may be his balding pate - or maybe (and this seems to be the case) he looks like taking a van from the coast to the prarie over night is energizing
That rambling energy makes me hope I’ll be the boy he has in this port
His set closes and down and then just before the headliner, I corner him, see the dark hair, as slick and black as an otter covering his chest, smell his sweat- intimadated I ask him to sign the poster I nicked from outside. He's gracious and shocked, thanks me for my kindness and I feel the entire world like an earnest fan boy. He leans close to me, puts his hand on my shoulder said thank you, talked to me about Victoria as he scrawls his name near the name of the singer. Nothing is named after the drummer- always the singer- from Buddy Holly's crickets to Neil Young's Crazy horses. He didn't seem to mind being part of the band and with that grin as he signed - that genuine and shy concern that someone liked him I thought he was going to bundle me away to Calgary or Saskatoon or where ever he was going next. I trailed him to the merchandise table, backing a warm brick wall and at an inconspicous corner, I ignored him - talked to the first musican (Danielle Howle) who played about Joni Mitchell. He didn't talk, stood guard silent and weary- the energy seems to come from the stage, the rock and roll. The peach shirt and the straw hat matched his skin sallow from road food. Danielle gave me a sticker and told me "she knew who her friends were". I gave her a list of cheap Thai. The headliner (Kelly Hogan) is starting and I thank Danielle look over at the drummer, and almost miss Kelly's first song, settling into the same corner of the dance floor, ignoring Kelly's heart breaking hard drinking never fucked him up no matter how much it fucked up her voice with half an ear. I was still paying attention to the drummer, still at the merchandise table, All of a sudden he bolted up and a girl who barely reached his nipples came close to him. He settled into her, curling protectivly over her dimunitive form
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Sunday, May 26, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
02
(346)
-
▼
5
(21)
- the oldest tiki bar in the midwest was replaced wi...
- 1000 words for dusted 2500 for freaky trigger 700 ...
- I got back from london sunday night and have spent...
- Yesterday I got my first freelance gig and i have ...
- oh and i feel like shit, i have a chest cold and s...
- The history of Dada had as many woman as men, Soph...
- Sophie Taeuber Arp
- Hannah Hoch
- This is a photograph by Man Ray, but the model ...
- a short bio and some of the Barroness poetry
- an artnet article on the new buzz>
- an essay on the book woman in dada, which i would ...
- I have been reading this of late
- i wrote 500 words on the below site, complete with...
- I believe in Jesus, I believe in Mother Church- Th...
- sorry not much blogging action , been gone lately....
- Fragment after a country show a prose poem ...
- i was supposed to write about london and art but e...
- dont get it (but i started a weddings classic or d...
- geoff wrote a novel years ago and it is quite good
- I got a plumber in , he was 4 hours late and did 5...
-
▼
5
(21)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment