I am sure that you are getting thousands of emails from Americans from Truth, Free Republic, Concerned Women of America, and others. I am a writer and artist from Alberta, who went to high school in a high income exurban development much like Deerfield, Illinois. There were no queer texts in the schools, no queer books in the libraries. As a result of being out, I was harassed verbally on a daily basis, I was beaten several times, I had death threats against me, and there was very little if nothing done by the administration to stem the flow of destruction.
I came from a family that read heavily, and that believed that one kept to the ethics and morals of freedom of speech, of self identity despite all costs. I pushed so that my voice could be heard, that those voices who were less heard were spoken for. I saw Angels in America at a local production in my grade 10 year, and in addition to my parents--it gave me the strength to go forward. It would have been a miracle to have read that in school--not as an option but as a requirement. The theocratic organazations that are bullying you, want to silence you.
It makes me upset, though, this year, two gay teens shot, and gay teen suicide at its height, and you get something like angels, something angry, holy, beautiful, and raw--that is as adolescent as it is adult--finally, living in a culture that loathes queers, and they get support, and what happens neo-con assholes with no sense of compassion rip it out of its context, do such violence to the text, and as the midrash reminds us, doing damage to the text is doing damage to the people. Not the people, my people.
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
08
(371)
-
▼
3
(32)
- Contemporary and Modern Art Day Sale, Sothebys, Lo...
- No title
- I want to shoot four cities named Grand Prairie. O...
- there are posters, and an opening, and an article ...
- me: hey adam Adam: howdy me: how's by you Adam: me...
- exxon seeks to reduce its 2.5 billion fine at the ...
- In July 1995, Herndon was arrested in Fort Worth, ...
- Mandolin Books Install Shot Three
- what is pecurilay postmodern about these celebriti...
- It cost too much staying human." (Bruce Sterling)
- a beautifully written history of inuktikuk.the mos...
- 3 month update# Publish in Vue and Seenope# Pitch ...
- I am sure that you are getting thousands of emails...
- aside from the conference, 4 things i must do in S...
- male homosexual desire to begin with is a kind of ...
- television grave yard
- Capri Inn
- the believer though earnest and too clever by ha...
- Essay:Listening and Watching Kenny Chesney on vide...
- trudy
- poetry 22: gaspereu presses anthology, at 10 years...
- crown point press was one of the best gallery expe...
- also drinks and dinner on the castro last night, f...
- notes on works of art i saw todayat the deyoung:as...
- results of a survey commisioned by nixon in 71, ab...
- a brief note on clarke:he wrote the worst novel i ...
- AnthonySEaston (9:44:45 PM): and also, how is the ...
- Chris Dropped Out of a Can Lit Class, because the...
- thinking more about rauschenberg, warhol, johns an...
- Dear Scott:The Governor has received your e-mail r...
- I like discussions, and when I am asked questions,...
- the official regan on rushmore website. with gifts...
-
▼
3
(32)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment