all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Monday, November 01, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/31/magazine/31FAITH.html

for those w/o a subscription, realvent qoutes below:

And so it remains. Chuck Ripka is a moneylender -- that is to say, a mortgage banker -- and his institution, the Riverview Community Bank in Otsego, Minn., is a way station for Christ. When he's not approving mortgages, or rather especially when he is, Ripka lays his hands on customers and colleagues, bows his head and prays: ''Lord, I pray that you will bring Matt and Jaimie the best buyer for their house so that they have the money to purchase the new home they feel called to. And I pray, Lord, that you grant me the wisdom to give them the best advice to meet their financial needs.''

The bank opened 18 months ago as a ''Christian financial institution,'' with a Bible buried in the foundation and the words ''In God We Trust'' engraved in the cornerstone. In that time, deposits have jumped from $5 million to more than $75 millio

Chuck Ripka says he sometimes slips and says to people, ''Come on over to the church -- I mean the bank.''

George Gallup Jr. is an evangelical Christian who has called his work ''a kind of ministry''

One tenet listed in the Riverview Community Bank's first annual report is to ''use the bank's Christian principles to expand Christianity.'' If that wasn't clear enough, Ripka put it in even starker terms for me: ''We use the bank as a front to do full-time ministry.'' Ken Beaudry, a marketplace pastor whose heating-oil company is just down the road from the Riverview bank, takes the same view. ''It's all about understanding that your business has a cause,'' he says. ''It's about recognizing that we exist as a company not just to make profits, but to change society. And our employees are on board with that.''

He says he has performed more than 60 faith healings in the bank and has ''saved'' another 60 people on bank premises

He worked odd jobs after high school and was born again when he was 21, during an Amway meeting.

Praying with customers is one thing Riverview has become known for. Gloria Oshima, a teller, was hired because of her previous experience at the nearby First National Bank of Elk River, but her faith, which she describes as ''bold,'' was also apparent in the job interview. ''When Gloria came applying for a job, I had a vision of her praying with customers,'' Ripka says. Referring to the bank's drive-up window, Oshima says: ''The Holy Spirit speaks to me when certain people drive up. A young lady pulled up one day. I looked at her, and she had tears in her eyes. I said: 'Are you O.K.? Would you mind if I prayed for you?' She said O.K. I said, 'Inside the bank, or right here?' She said, 'This is fine here.' So we prayed. I asked the Lord to remove the hurts within her and bless her day. She came again later, into the lobby this time, and she said, 'I'm doing so good, and I just wanted to thank you for your prayer

When I asked Ripka if a Jew or Muslim had ever applied for a job at the bank, his choice of language was a bit odd: ''We don't really have that in our community at this point.''

At Intel, the Muslim, Jewish and Christian groups , receive the same resources as the Parents Group and the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Group.

and to google
''God@Work,'' ''Believers in Business'' and ''Loving Monday.''


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.