...we are clearly meant to understand that the opposite of love is killing, that, if we fail to love, inevitably we will perform acts of violence. Auden could have revised the line and made its real meaning more explicit by saying, "We must either love or kill each other", but that revision wouldn't fit the iambic trimeter in which the poem was written, nor would it rhyme with any of other line in the stanza. No doubt Auden could have found some other workable solution, but he didn't attempt to do so (aside from simp[ly excising the stanza in its first reprinting...
From The Normal Heart Condition, according to Auden, Alfred Corn
I wanted to be Moses, but I could only be Cassandra
Larry Kramer, In the Destiny of ME, from John M Clum Kramer vs Kramer, Ben and Alexander...201
The message of Faggots had been either "Sexual liberation is evil: or Put aside destructive pursuits and seek love: Either way, it was the mwessage that mattered. From the beginning of his writing career, Kramer, had been a "message queen". a term aimed at him derisvely but which he considers a compliment...
Michael Paller, Kramer and Gay Theater, 206
The grappling to understand despite a fundamental failure at empathy, a wish to reach out to each other over the gulf of misunderstanding, and messy past interactions, pervade...
David Wallinger The Abnormal Talent, 237 (i wish i could just link to this whole essay, its brillant)
I didn;t set out to write a play about AIDS, I set out to write a play about what it was like to be a gay, Jewish, Leftist man in New York City in mid-80s Reagan America. I really think I set out to write about Reagon, Id seen a few plays and TV films "about" AIDS, and with one single exception tehy were all terrible, in my opinion, disease-of-the-week weepies addressing something manifestly monumentally of another order--an order, i felt, like the Holocaust, the scale of which was incommensurable with representation on the tacky tawdry showbizzy stage...
We all know that the form, the public forum, the instant community of actor and audience, collective attendance, catharsis, can in the right hands, suit any subject of a vast shared grief and rage. We know that theater banished actor, once full throttle mimesis, representations and narrative had insinuated themselves into the Mass; not because of a food actors power to inspire idolatry but rather because the whole business started to smell of something dangerously cheap, risible, carnal; the ecclesiastical rabidly became the dialectical opposite of its Sacred subject. TRhe proximity of the Divine and the Preposterous, the infinitely grave and the Infintely Embarrassing, made the theatrical bits more exciting than the sacramental ritual and hence the theatrical became, ripe for, and deserving of anathema....
I struggle a lot with what Ive come increasingly to describe to myself as a dicvide between Wisdom with a capital W, which I am reasonably certain I do nto posses, adn the something that I do possess--opinions? In my opinons, my opinons are the correct opinons are to have, but having the correct opinons is not the same as knowing the truth, having Wisdom, some people have that but I ddont knopw where they got it any more more then I know, really why I'm gay....
Tony Krushner, Three Screeds For Larry Kramer, 192/3
From We Must Love One Another or Die, The Life and LEgacies of Larry Kramer, edited by L Mass St Martins, 1997.
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Monday, December 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
07
(473)
-
▼
12
(41)
- for rouge makeovers from holts--so i went out on a...
- Prints and Multiples, SOthebys, London:Still a way...
- i dont know how i feel about john zollers work fro...
- Christs Penis
- Reading the Globe and Mail obit of Mosseua, it was...
- famous photographer mentoring a workshop in Tuscan...
- One of the standard-issue tactics in Victorian rel...
- post exposure im feeling really exhausted, bitchy,...
- things to do tomorrowtake down photo showsreinstal...
- this makes me a fag, but rufus wainwright at carne...
- Rachel McCrae's contribution
- Rainy McMaster Post Card
- Chris Piuma's Contribution to the Post Card Project
- Geoff Parkes Post Card
- football feild sized cockweird japaense kewpiesdoz...
- Various Paintings, DRawing and Etchings by Delacro...
- My feeling persists that all of my sculpture is pa...
- four sentences that encapsulates the previous entr...
- Anthony Easton's Top Ten Aesthetic Events, 2007 (p...
- French Knotted Embrodiery, Inspired by Anna Atkins...
- SpleenI'm like the King of some damp, rainy clime,...
- Country Singles 2007:Kenny Chesney Dancing for the...
- Corpael Acts of Mercy:Feed the hungryGive drink to...
- I have not yet chosen which photos I would like to...
- No title
- ArtistTitleLabelPoints 1.LCD SoundsystemSounds ...
- Albums:LCD Soundsystem:The Grind, the sadness, and...
- These Tinsel Decorations have been Up since i was ...
- one of several clio award winning rebuses for leve...
- before torontoconfirm meetings (bulger, npm)BUY TI...
- Gold
- sergio leone etc1) Your favorite opening shot (H...
- Dave Hickey and Tyler Green both did their ten fav...
- 10 Photos, 18801. Diane Arbus, Germaine Greer, 197...
- From a November 6th Stratfor report: "Pakistan ...
- 1) Publish 12 articles, online or in print. (work ...
- Dutch Condom Adtypography of astreixWayne White So...
- Nashville PollTop Ten Country Albums:1. Golden Opp...
- ...we are clearly meant to understand that the opp...
- Attempt at a last ppgh for the Kenny EssayI think ...
- The secularist lawyer John Rowe, wrote this on his...
-
▼
12
(41)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment