The Rest Is Silence: The Tapes Hyang Cho
2011, 12 ft; dimensions variable , 189 cassette tapes with cases, 90 minutes each, tape recorder, speaker
This show had a number of peices, but this one was the most powerful for me. She recorded herself reading Spinoza's ethics word by word, on a set of 90 minute tapes. As one tape ended, she would type what reminded her of the work Sometimes its nothing, sometimes its these really problematic words about sex and death--the tapes would be played in sequence--each word would be underlined, and the pencil would be rubbed off on a blank notebook afterwards.
it's an academic work, but Spinoza, with his efforts at and eventually failing to ride the intellectual line between his instincts and his traditon, and the non-western nature of Hyang Cho's other work, have an isolation and a lonliness, a profound fear at wanting to communicate, and being unable to communicate.
that the speaker is grey, and the tapes are black and white, and the edition of spinoza she chose was black, and the only colour was the gold along the spine--made it a visually stark work as well.
(note about analog vs digital)
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
11
(101)
-
▼
9
(7)
- From September 3, 2011 I love in porn when the sig...
- Ed Ruscha Beach Towel Over 20 years on in the h...
- The Rest Is Silence: The Tapes Hyang Cho2011, 12 f...
- last night, wonderful sex with a newish boy at his...
- I think what I think at this point was that i foun...
- "I thought I was taking pictures of things that I ...
- From September 29, 2011Murdoch is god father to on...
-
▼
9
(7)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment