In the last little while, i have tried to write to conserative xian orgs, using personal anecdotes, in order to further discourse about subjects that i care about, in a way that leads me to understand them better.
this is what i wrote to the hip pomo anti porn site xxxchurch:
I want to tell a story before my question, and since the bible is fullof stories, i don't imagine that you would object. (It's allanecdotal, we can do hermeneutics and bible studies and stats, if you want, but right now all i want to do is tell a little story.)
I grew up LDS, which is a little like growing up baptist. Every Sundayschool i was told that sex was wrong, that it was immoral, that itshould not be done. I was told not to masturbate and that if i didthat i would become addicted. I was told t hat god hated those whojerked off. When I was struggling with coming out, i was told that Ineeded to change or I would be miserable and unhappy. I was,i hated mybody, my sexuality, my self and my god.
When I discovered porn, esp. gay porn something split inside of me.Not the bad kind of splitting that you are talking about, but a sortof renewal. I started to masturbate without guilt, i did not become addicted to sex or porn or jerking off. I settled into a rather banalschedule. It did not disrupt school, work, a social life or evenfalling in love. When I fell in love for the first time, i knew whatto do and we had a moment that was bonding and holy. I am pleased thatI am queer, I don't hate my body as much as I used to or even my self.Me and god aren't hanging out anymore, but thats a different kind ofstory, that has a lot to do with politics and not much to do with my penis.
I am concerned with the commercialization of our culture, and howambiguous and complicated sexualities are being torn down and replacedwith a banging and crashing lack of respect and love. I grok that, andif you are working on that--thats fantastic. But what I am worriedabout is that what is positive about sex and porn is lost.
I am terrified that you will see this, and you will say to me thatbeing queer is immoral, and that i will be condemned for that, andthat my view that learning about sex, and viewing sex as a positive least, and try to explain to me that there was not something that was opened here. I also know that you are really busy, and that I will most likely not get the kind of answer that I would like, but I wanted to put this on the table. (also, you will hate the book, but for a larger and more complicated study of the positive forces that porn has on gender, sex, class, theother, and people in general, you should look at Laura Kipnis 's book Bound and Gagged.)
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Friday, July 23, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
04
(837)
-
▼
7
(211)
- edit: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjb/122994....
- http://www.aides.org/illustration/5/2059.pdf http:...
- bryan was shown these and he didnt care, cause he ...
- Senator Cornyn hates box turtles. http://www.pros...
- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A504...
- http://reason.com/0303/fe.mf.big.shtml Reason's po...
- The atlantic monthly article on fisher is weirder ...
- http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/13/opinion/13KRUG.h...
- http://home.flash.net/~jronsen/cagelinks.html http...
- http://www.kipar.org/society/author/pirates-histor...
- http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=18651 ok this ...
- http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPhotoPresentation.jht...
- http://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/center/action/e...
- http://www.nls.uk/broadsides/index.html large coll...
- http://www.un.org/events/tenstories/ Ten things th...
- out w. jordan, van helsing @ the cheap theaters, ...
- and someone saved the poloroids i stupidly left on...
- james maybank, my uncle, lives with his partner of...
- 6 hours over two days at animethon, seeing lots of...
- not fruits (or more properly fruIts) but gothic lo...
- gene jeanie and the streets back to back @ divine,...
- AlabamaBiringimham(sp)-The 16th Street Baptist Chu...
- http://www.truecatholic.org/ site of one of the se...
- going thru the recent aqustions of the vag, i noti...
- http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3911...
- http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertai...
- http://www.exlibris.org/nonconform/engdis/index.ht...
- You thot Rotten was only good for seeing weird sex...
- http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=33840...
- http://www2.sjsu.edu/depts/english/2004.htm buwly...
- Roger Payne draws dirty pictures, but he is looser...
- http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=...
- http://www.seanbonner.com/blog/archives/000612.php...
- http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/contributors/Cou...
- http://www.nzz.ch/2004/07/18/english/page-synd5090...
- http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTI...
- http://www.heartlight.org/fast/ speaking of churc...
- http://www.zaman.com/?bl=international&alt=&trh=20...
- http://www.brianfinke.com/ pretty, cliched, all a...
- http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-07/16/conte...
- The Alliance for Marriage Website is less white ...
- http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/story.jsp?s...
- http://www.reportage.org/Archive/archive.html bri...
- There was an interesting string of comments about ...
- In the last little while, i have tried to write to...
- bourne supremcy today, and it was excellent. asi...
- the girl that i love loves another, and the other ...
- said to dee today: so i saw two missionaries toda...
- Most of all, we need to see that the landscape of ...
- http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/?040705crbo...
- sinkah asked me to do a best of ilx for him, and ...
- http://www.wpunj.edu/~newpol/issue31/willis31.htm ...
- http://www.longstoryshortpier.com/vaults/2004/07/1...
- near naked ladies wielding swords are phallocentri...
- The power involved in desire is so great that when...
- http://www.markarkleiman.com/archives/crime_contro...
- Black Tea Society takes apart the DNC with a pick ...
- http://www.ravelinks.com/flyers/jesusraves1_small....
- http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/07/21/military.perk...
- http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004332088,00...
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3907547.stm This...
- They take pictures, then put words on the pictures...
- http://www.christianwrestling.com/ http://www.chri...
- http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/07202004_bb_bapti...
- http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/comment/0,92...
- What I like about Fernwood investments is that the...
- http://www.ctheory.net/text_file.asp?pick=427 Geor...
- yesterday, we went and had drinks at decadence, th...
- i am not really a liberal, i believe in many of th...
- I dont know why this fascianted me so much, but di...
- http://www.anivegvideo.com/AVV.html says that they...
- http://www.paradiselost.org/4-stories-pictures.htm...
- Alex d Waal tells of how the world ignores africa,...
- english video directors and artists, smuggler, hav...
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11...
- http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=3362 Kenny...
- http://www.directfromgod.com/ A Letter Directly f...
- Obama, from illinois is really fucking good--talks...
- the music is standard indie, but the video was lo ...
- http://www.archinode.com/mitcar1.html franz gehry...
- i think of the farnsworth house as an object of ex...
- http://www.kottke.org/plus/misc/911commission.html...
- Kerrys foreign policy has been pretty blank with w...
- http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/20c-art1.htm 100 ...
- important and complicated article on african farmi...
- second draft of ana peice, not spell checked, not ...
- should forefront sacred, more background maybe...n...
- I'm not very politically involved. And I don't lik...
- talking today to c and her friend dave and pat, ab...
- do women make themselves thinner to take up less s...
- they think its pseduo seizures, the evidence is pi...
- some of the pro ana sites that i have read talk ab...
- the problem i have w. the addiction model (and its...
- Zhang Gong's art has the pop superficallity, irony...
- http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=1013&Issu...
- http://www.command-post.org/2004/2_archives/013937...
- http://www.cjr.org/issues/2004/3/beckerman-faith.a...
- if god is of the world and in the world, then why ...
- http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap...
- http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/28/tech/mai...
- http://www.rentapeasant.fsnet.co.uk/index.html if...
- http://www.skywriting.com/misc/pics/free-speech-pe...
- http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/07/28/iraq.mai...
- Harare(sp) sent me this link, with his writing abo...
- The thing that the left needs to get from the far,...
- Women and children are being chained together and ...
- http://www.nuvo.net/archive/2004/07/21/busting_ber...
- http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/arti...
- http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/mumford/mu...
- http://www.outminds.com/outspoken/outspoken_column...
- http://www.jvim.com/ Jack Van Impe thinks the worl...
- and dildos are illegal in alabama--not semi automa...
- Alex Ross, the New Yorker Classical Music Critic, ...
- can you get a hangover from too much fat and sugar...
- http://community.middlebury.edu/~mobrien/covers/ b...
- Yale has put up the thousands of 18th century broa...
- http://www.davekopel.org/terror/59Deceits.pdf DAv...
- south african scum castoffs from Executive Outcome...
- http://www.citylibraries.info/pictures/big_picture...
- http://www.moviecitynews.com/arrays/2004/new_world...
- lots of tears about crick dying, and how much of a...
- http://www.gt-labs.com/dignifying.html and also ab...
- (pat , you should look at these, they look really ...
- http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=57...
- http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/art...
- The only reason why I watched Miss America (recent...
- http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_patriotb...
- http://www.philaprintshop.com/myth.html here be d...
-
▼
7
(211)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment