on The Mountain Goats song ezekiel 7.
I have been doing godwork, formally, for a few months now--and i am finding some important things about myself. I do not have a missional realtionship to christ. I am most likely not a christian. I do not feel called to ministry, to an intense and personal relationship with God. My queerness, my autism, my depression, my prickly/spiny nature in addition to the above as made the communal work that godtalk entails almost impossible and profoundly lonely. This loneliness is compounded with a never ending quest for completeness, for holiness, for purity, that if i am devout enough or together enough, or even if i do nothing, God in her infinte mercy would make me whole. I do not believe in the Divine, and I want her to make me whole. This album, and esp this song, is the best expression of that profound/postmodern paradox. I could talk about it musically, but the mystery of grace is foundaitonal to the push me/pull me tale of the fallen and the redeemed. Darinelle is CAtholic, he is not Protestant, and my move from the Catholics to the Protestants is one of seeking Grace--Here is Luther (another fallen Catholic) on Grace: It is like the case of a man who is ill, who trusts the doctor who promises him a certain recovery and in the meantime obeys the doctor’s instructions, abstaining from what has been forbidden to him, in the hope of the promised recovery (in spe promissae sanitatis), so that he does not do anything to hinder this promised recovery...Now this man who is ill, is he healthy?.
I feel as if Christ, or the narratology of Christianity has been forbidden to me, that I have had to abstain from it. This song, the album that this song comes from, has broken the hobble, I feel healthier listening to it, I feel less ill.
I feel like sometimes that the confusion, the narrative stumbling, the devotion to brokenness that Darnielle enages in, is a post-Catholic pushing around the history of his childhood, hoping that under that Sisyphian stone, there will be grace, that to make stories about it will make us healthier.
I have my doubts it will, but i like the hope.
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
09
(371)
-
▼
10
(41)
- crowd source my answers to the aspie kids:- What d...
- I predict opening ceremonies so sexy they make a Q...
- Victoria University E.J. PrattStacksBT708 .G33 200...
- Beige on BEige
- empress & hanged man
- * Interviewer: What is the most important lesson l...
- talking to jeff about fornication as a lingustic t...
- aspie group went so well that we are going to see ...
- five things about the aspie kids:the kids themselv...
- From Untitled AlbumDelacroix, Tiger Etching., 184?...
- left behind notes:meta (first shots are about bein...
- come on, nobel, atwood is not going to last forever.
- i failed an assignment todaywhich might lead to fa...
- 40 women more attractive then kate beckinsale, who...
- zebrass, zebronkey, zeass, zeedonk, zedonk, zebado...
- fifteen points for the reflection paper:to be Chri...
- on The Mountain Goats song ezekiel 7.I have been d...
- No title
- <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { marg...
- the thing that always suprises me about the gospel...
- some notes on wycliffe:a) i dont fit inb) i wont f...
- talk with chris, who listened and was genuinely co...
- i am never sure what xians mean when they say i wi...
- "In a world we find terrifying, we ratify that whi...
- Geofffuck settlingthere's only so much pattern cha...
- doing the work i am doing with jason, esp. the wor...
- where does the text come from what are the key wor...
- I don't feel that it is necessary to know exactly ...
- Rachel has a show at Trinity Square Video right no...
- GunkelL SchmidtMartin ArchardClaus Westerman, GEne...
- from gunkel on genesis, translated by mark biddle,...
- nancy spero, whose reworking of history into femmi...
- its national wombat day tomorrow.
- From Untitled AlbumA77, Ryman, ca 1977.A tragic ta...
- The story of Jacob and the Angel is one of the mos...
- me looking sad and slightly terrorfied
- it is ironic that the side effects for drugs that ...
- i am on a train, just past brandon, and typing th...
- twenty things about the detroit art gallerythey ar...
- also a glen lingon peice, where a wooden shipping ...
- spent a few hours with horror fans and metal heads...
-
▼
10
(41)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment