all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Monday, June 18, 2007

long convo today w. local painter/currator scott cumberland about the modernist show, likes/dislikes/formalist takes/readings in and outside the text. smart guy, and willing to call bullshit. some strong work, and some work that i love dispite of myself, and some stuff that just fails on its own terms, and some paintings that are just hideous. liked more then i thot i would.

5 comments:

ahab said...

Scott's MFA-candidate statement declares: ...modernism decries the use of realism, illusionism and the subsequent 3-dimensional space they create, stating they conceal the very nature of painting by drawing the viewer’s attention away from the formal elements. Modernism strives for a flattened space, void of realism and illusionism becoming self critical of the very elements used to create a painting.

Modernism can of course make no claims for itself; but if it could it would still make no such claims for hierarchy of style, medium or mode. The ONLY hierarchy it would adhere to, or more accurately, the only hierarchy a modernist maker or viewer will adhere to, is one of quality - if one's experience of a thing is better than another, then that first thing is better. Full stop.

NO RULES about whether photorealism or illusion or graffiti or installation is allowed. No rules about how it can be good, just that it's gotta be good. Every person already makes that discernment consciously or not, but it's the acknowledgment of and attention to the judgment that is modernist.

So I type this not to get all professorial on Scott's or your ass, but because I'm so surprised at how few art-connected people seem to understand what the modernist attitude actually is, or how significantly it brings to light the ways in which we experience every single thing we encounter in the world.

Anthony said...

the thing is modernism can claim only the art ist interesting, but i think it ignores too much other things.

im a post structualist, because i think the discourse surrounding the text are more vital, and because i dont think there is good or bad art.

MC said...

I, on the other hand, still find art valuable, for art's sake.
That's where we differ.
So be it.

ahab said...

the thing is modernism can claim only the art is interesting, but i think it ignores too many other things

A modernist attitude is not selective in the way you suggest. A discourse, any discourse really, can of course be attended to with as rigorous a modernist mindset as an artwork; that is, the words and sentences and paragraphs necessary for discourse can always be rearranged to more clearly convey meaning. The modernist seeks to make his/her argument or position understood, and knows that by engaging in a dialogue with others who seek to make their meaning understood will be able to converse in ever more understandable ways, and hopefully understand the topic better him/herself.

It's true though, a modernist approach does not consider a painting to be a discourse, neither does it allow that a painting contributes to a discourse - a painting is an artwork and a discourse is text. Despite what Derrida and Co. would have us believe. The modernist insists on clarity when speaking of an artwork, always distinguishing between the material signifiers and the textual signs. (Though to be honest, I constantly confuse the terms 'sign', 'signifier' and 'signified' for one another.)

The art is interesting, or not, AS ART. A discussion of art is interesting, or not, again, AS A DISCUSSION OF ART. All other things may or may not be interesting, but each within its own realm, and even ESPECIALLY SO within its own realm.

I understand that 'things' are intertwined and more or less reliant upon one another; it's the unraveling, the distinguishing of one thing from another, and the measuring of one against another like it that I think important.

If I knew how to write about this stuff without conveying the tone of a condescending lecture, I totally would. I'm merely trying to find the best way to type out what I think.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Derrida and Co had a book out. I can't wait to read it.

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.