Geoff Parked recently sent me piece of his web project and asked me to critique it . Much to my shame i looked over it and i sent him a one line email . To my defense i bookmarked it to look over later . I had been reading mostly traditional poetry When i was really young my mind was more supple and made much larger jumps . Now i had trouble picking through the piece he sent me . I was puzzling the meaning and not and not looking through its structures . I went to the library today and sitting down i looked at the poetry it reminded me of . Namely Hugo Ball who used preverbal onamanapeics and Maniretti who used typography to express explicitly political themes. The thing is Geoff's work full in the mouth and gastronomical in its pornography. The metaphor of consumption means the words spread through the page. It erupts, ejaculates . But this betrays the deliberateness of his metaphors It manages to be so well constructed its mercurial nature looks simple. It also riffs between Spanish and english. Geoff was worried about translation and a web presence. I do not think it needs to be translated , Pound didn't translate the more obscure of his references , trusting the intellectualism of his audience .
(OT: I think Pound would have loved the web ; His poems stuffed to the gills with textual references and his paranoia as well. )
Links
Geoffs Poem :
Maniretti Poem :
Hugo Ball :
( a dadaist poetry site )
No comments:
Post a Comment