all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Thursday, May 23, 2002

I believe in Jesus, I believe in Mother Church- The Apostles Creeddoesn't give me reason to pause. These are really simple works and not intended towards any deep parsing. The thoughts I have had about Catholicism are not about the basics of theology. I concern myself with the very real problems of the church , worrying about the effects of celiabcy, for example or how the chuch can last with out changing or its views on people like me
I work hard at doubting. I do not believe that there are universals, and that doubt coupled with a Focculdian obsession with finding the wizard behind the curtains, has made my explorations of Catholicism explorations of power. They are not really about the theology itself but who holds the power and how does who have the power maintain control .
There is a http://fearsomepirate.blogspot.com/that I found randomly that does other things, it does not seem to nitpick politics or concern itself with the World. I am impressed with his intelligence and ready wit. He concerns himself with the difficult structural questions of theology with more skills then I have. The way he parses hermeneuticsis brilliant. He can view scripture and see what is there, as opposed to me who sees what is left out.
He is Lutheran and believes in Luthers words deeply. Instead of using arguments of emotion, he uses reason. He refuses to be pulled into the techniques of propaganda. He reads the works of other theologian, and then using the tools they have left out points out what's wrong.
I have not read alot of protestant theology. The words of Luther scared me , and to prove he was wrong I took the easy way out, reading his . more controversial works This website has convinced me to read the 95 theses again ( he uses that word-theses) and realize what Luther said about the Pope is still realvent.
There are other works I don't know, other thinkers I have heard in passingsin or that I have dismissedfor no really reasons . There are people he quoatesthat i had no exsisted My arrogance and anger at the protestant experince have been laid out .
I want to email him ,and ask for forgiveness. I want him to teach me , and tell me all there is to know about these things. We can congratulate ourselves on not believing anything , in pulling the rug out . There is so much visceral joy in seeing the emperor naked that the easy assumption that all robes are transparent is made.
Everyone needs to have this much passion about their beliefs. This college kid has more skill then most of the Jesuits I know. Yes he is publishing on a blog, but that way he can write what he want to and have an audience larger then religious Journals that no one ever reads. I wonder if its gauche to ask him to translate it for a newbie ?

(PS- He also talks about how much girls flummox him, and the importance of beer- just in case you think he is some kind of freak)

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.