Casting Aspersions
As someone who has recently self-diagnosed as having Asperger’s, I found Kim Pittaway’s “Confidence Game” (May) quite upsetting.
I have spent the better part of my life trying to figure out why I am so different from almost everyone I meet. Psychiatrists have mislabelled me add, ocd, or “physiologically and emotionally hypersensitive, eccentric, and ego-centric enough that the eccentricity doesn’t bother you, but otherwise fine” — an actual quote, and basically a diagnosis of Asperger’s. When I finally came across the Wikipedia page on the disorder, it was like finding the Holy Grail, and I immediately took steps to have an official diagnosis performed. After all that work, to be lumped in with con artists was quite frustrating — another perfect example of neurotypicals misunderstanding us.
I take particular exception to the placement of Anthony Easton’s comment that some Aspies “have no social skills because [they] fucking play fourteen hours of World of Warcraft a day.” It’s not what Easton is saying that upsets me; spending this much time on one pursuit is characteristic of Asperger’s, after all. Rather, I object to the way Pittaway used this quote to support the idea that a self-diagnosis is a cop-out.
But the article’s conclusion — “Just because you’re Aspie doesn’t mean you’re not an asshole,” also care of Easton — took the cake. Many Aspies have been so persecuted that they have given up on trying to integrate into society. Does this make them assholes? All in all, the piece was a sensationalist, misleading piece of crap. I am appalled that you published it, and you should be ashamed.
David Morrissey
Toronto, ON
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Saturday, July 03, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
10
(204)
-
▼
7
(12)
- canada--that loosest of confederations, who is mos...
- gospel as logocentric, so any attempts to translat...
- Casting AspersionsAs someone who has recently self...
- Mississauga campus is beautiful, the library is be...
- slovenian gay bar firebombed with molotov cocktail...
- From Mulroney's a/bio:...Preston Manning and his s...
- Theological implications of the reform party ...
- view details ...
- went to beast today, lovely dinner (sweetbreads, e...
- AppleBlack Cherry Diet Black Cherry Club soda Sha...
- 60/40 (60% grapefruit, 40% lime)Dr. FaygoBlack Che...
- edmonton has three new subway stations, but the sa...
-
▼
7
(12)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment