all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Monday, August 06, 2001

I
I am listening to the Bjork and Thom Yorke track I have seen it all from Dancer in The Dark.
The way it starts with the train whistle sounds both domestic and has a tinge of exotic nostalgia. show the begining of a tense waltz.
The interposing of dancing willow leaves and murder in the first verse show the begining of a tense waltz.
It all seems like Thom is giving up. With lines like I am half way to saying i have better to do, or All walls are great if the roof doesn't fall,.
At this point the voices switch. Thom is extolling simple domestic pleasures , about the man she will marry or her hand in her grandsons hand. She dismisses it as literally water under the bridge ( "its water thats all") . So common and useful the wonders become banal. The song ends with each of them extolling the hope of "the brightness in one little spark".
At the end they speak in tandem. They have both seen everything.


I am not sure i liked the movie. I think most of Van Triers work depends on female saints in contrived situations ( ie Breaking the Wave or the Kingdom) But this song is so well written . I am looking foreword to her work with Harmony Kormine .

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.