all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich

Thursday, August 23, 2001

I noise is music, music noise

Cage


There is a differnce between enjoying Cages Philosphy and the music that embodies it. I am thinking about this quote when i was listening to Metal Machine Music. Lester Bang thought it was a joke. Q magazine labeled it as a fuck you to a record company. A bunch of avant gardeists consider it a peice that rips structure to is girders. I hated it , i have a copy of it. I agreed with Q and Bangs for a long time. I then talked to a couple of people . One person told me to listen to it like noise. Without any preconceptions . He said it ripped structures down to their girders. So i did not expect anything. I put it on and just listened to it. It was no longer noise. The feedback was like ripples of a pond. It had no structure, no beggining and no end. When i got used to that it was closer in complexity . It sounded like a raga,

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.