A journalist from London called Edmonton Deadmonton. Every one of the local civic boosters were offended. Let me offer a metaphor. In a river there are spots of dead water near the shore called Eddies. These are , when canoeing, perfect respites. But seeing them after the chaos of white water they look a bit boring.
The pace in Edmonton is slow. People think this is boring. I think it is wondrous. People are more polite , gentler. A perfect example was the 6 people who stopped and helped an English Tourist try to find her way to her hotel. One of them walked her to the front door.
I get phone calls to return books i have left on buses . The cops have a public information campaign with the slogan being gay is not a crime gay bashing is. They have liaison committees with the Sikhs, the Chinese and the queer. They have their problems.
On the local party strip they are heavy handed but we had a riot on July 1st The first riot we have ever had.
The city is not perfect. People live in poverty, there are murderers and robbery. There is a lack of cheap , safe housing. LArge corporations rule. Our downtown is almost dead after 6pm on weekends where the office workers go home to safe suburbs. But we have a large number of organizations helping. We seem to have this Prairie practicality. Help them now ! To eat or to find rent money or to play. Then lets talk about long term solutions.
I want to provide a travelogue but i have a party to go to, a freind whose wife of 40 years died six months ago is remarrying
What I am reading
War Against Cliche - Martin Amis
Epigrams - Martial
States of Desire- Edmund White
What i am listening to
Madonna - Ray of Light
Dylan- Live and Unplugged
Rufus Wainwright -Traflagar Square ( single)
Moe Tucker - Blue all the way to canada (single)
Art i love right know
Early Pollock all intense and archetypal.
Movie i last watched
Pollock . which should have been called Lee Krasner
Quote
The difference between the Spice Girls and a porno film is
that the porno film has better music." -- Phil Specter
all shall be well all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well julian of norwich
Saturday, August 11, 2001
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
01
(157)
-
▼
8
(33)
- Hey this is my first blog. wrote something about a...
- . Tonight i got drunk on cheap red wine. I wore a ...
- center i say the rosary every morning and eve...
- I watched Fight Club and Family Man back to back o...
- went to church today. It was the boring and flip p...
- I I am listening to the Bjork and Thom Yorke trac...
- I have had a hard day and am knackered. Work mostl...
- Today on my day off i spent 8 hours in a casino. I...
- What i am listening to today : Rufus Wainwright ...
- I am not going to post anything deep today. Did al...
- So today i collpased at work. I have been pulling ...
- Today i went out for a few hours and bought clothe...
- Madonna is our pop goddess. She has worked hard at...
- A journalist from London called Edmonton Deadmon...
- My Funny Valentine Today i heard this song twice...
- What I am reading Virago book of naughty verse (...
- I was reading the salon article on camgirls and t...
- Tonight i saw Politically Incorrect with Rufus W...
- i had a full day.i am tired . I have nothing to say.
- Three Things . one On a board i frequent , Mo...
- I swam, went to mass, worked and slept today . Sis...
- Kurt Cobain Kurt Cobain was 27 in 1994. I was 1...
- Do you ever play a peice of music until you feel d...
- I would like to make this water wine , but it is i...
- Alot of shit happened today and i am sort of writi...
- I collect three kinds of anthologies. Maybe collec...
- I noise is music, music noise Cage There is a...
- I talk to a buddy on icq an hour twice a week . i...
- I am not a nature freak. Even when i canoe i want...
- There is one advantage to funerals. You among the ...
- why do you listen to the music you do My friend...
- i edit poorly. i was rereading my entries and them...
- Teen Jeopardy is amazing these 15 year olds with t...
-
▼
8
(33)
AWESOME BLOGGERS, BLOGGING AWESOMENESS
About Me
- Anthony
- i am a sixteen foot sasquatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment